Located on Madison Street between 60th Place and Fresh Pond Road, Benninger Playground is named after former Queens Parks Commissioner Albert C. Benninger (1885-1937). Benninger was born in the town of Germany, Canada, and moved to the United States at the age of four. He joined the United States Marine Corps and served during the Spanish-American War (1898-1899). In 1905, after leaving the military, Benninger moved to the Glendale section of Queens, New York. Seven years later, he was elected Queens Assemblyman, and he later served on the Board of Aldermen. In 1916, he served briefly as Commissioner of Public Works. Two years later, Mayor John F. Hylan (1869-1936) appointed Benninger Commissioner of the Queens Parks Department. In 1928, Benninger retired from this position, but was re-appointed two years later and served until 1933. Between 1933 and 1937, he served as Federal Marshal for the Eastern District of New York.
Directions to Benninger Playground
Benninger Playground Weather