Beach Channel Playground
B 80 St., B 79 St., Rockaway Beach Blvd., Beach Channel Dr.
Directions via Google Maps
Beach Channel Playground provides recreational facilities to local residents of Rockaway, Queens. The playground name comes from nearby Beach Channel Drive.
The name Rockaway was probably derived from the Delaware or Chippewa words for “sandy place.” The peninsula became known as Rockaway after it was colonized by Europeans during the 17th century. The original Canarsie Native American inhabitants sold the mostly barren land to Captain Palmer, an Englishman, with a deed granted by Governor Thomas Dongan in 1685. Disappointed with his purchase, Palmer sold the land in 1687 to a prominent iron master from Long Island, Richard Cornell, whose descendant Ezra founded Cornell University in 1865.
Directions to Beach Channel Playground
Beach Channel Playground Weather