Seaview Ave. between E. 99 St. and E. 101 St.
Directions via Google Maps
This playground takes its name from the adjacent Bayview Houses, which overlook historic Jamaica Bay. The development is bordered on three sides by Canarsie Park and on the fourth by Seaview Avenue.
The name for Canarsie Park comes from the Canarsie (or Canarsee) Indians, who lived in this area. They called this area Keskachauge (or Kestateuw), but Dutch settlers renamed the area New Amersfoort in the 1630s. In 1675, Jan Martense Schenck, a Dutch immigrant, built a house in the area of New Amersfoort, on Mill Island, within the current boundaries of the park. The house consisted of two rooms, and was built as a simple box of 20 feet by 40 feet, but the family expanded the house into an L-shaped plan containing eleven rooms. It is believed that the house was either entirely refurbished or rebuilt during the 1720s. When the British took control of the territory during the American Revolution (1775-1783), they renamed New Amersfoort the Flatlands.
Directions to Bayview Playground
Bayview Playground Weather