This playground takes its name from the adjacent Bayview Houses, which overlook historic Jamaica Bay. The development is bordered on three sides by Canarsie Park and on the fourth by Seaview Avenue.
The name for Canarsie Park comes from the Canarsie (or Canarsee) Indians, who lived in this area. They called this area Keskachauge (or Kestateuw), but Dutch settlers renamed the area New Amersfoort in the 1630s. In 1675, Jan Martense Schenck, a Dutch immigrant, built a house in the area of New Amersfoort, on Mill Island, within the current boundaries of the park. The house consisted of two rooms, and was built as a simple box of 20 feet by 40 feet, but the family expanded the house into an L-shaped plan containing eleven rooms. It is believed that the house was either entirely refurbished or rebuilt during the 1720s. When the British took control of the territory during the American Revolution (1775-1783), they renamed New Amersfoort the Flatlands.
Directions to Bayview Playground
Know Before You Go
The park will be closed to reconstruct the multi-purpose play area in Bayview Playground. New features include asphalt pavement, a painted two-lane running track, painted ground games, ornamental plantings, a sitting area and the installation of a perimeter chain link fence. The baseball infield will feature a new color seal coat with additional painted lines for other sports activities.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2014
- Citywide Comfort Station and Facility Electrical System Repair (CNYG-914M)
- Citywide Comfort Station and Facility Reconstruction - Plumbing & HVAC (CNYG-1014M)
- Citywide Comfort Station and Facility Reconstruction (CNYG-814MA)