Back to Monuments List
Peter Caesar Alberti Marker
Click image for larger view
- Description: Marker on plinth
- Materials: Granite
- Dimensions: Front H: 4"; Rear H: 1'2" W: 1'8" D: 1'4" (all approximate)
- Cast: ca. 1985 (replica)
- Dedicated: Original: June 2, 1958; rededicated ca. 1985
- Fabricator: A. Ottavino Corp.
- Donor: Italian Historical Society of America (original)
- Inscription: PETER CAESAR ALBERTI / FIRST ITALIAN SETTLER / LANDED IN N.Y. JUNE 2, 1635 / THROUGH THE EFFORTS OF / JOHN N. LACORTE FOUNDER OF / THE ITALIAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY / OF AMERICA / JUNE 2, HAS BEEN PROCLAIMED / "ALBERTI DAY"
THE CITY OF VENICE IS PROUD TO JOIN THE / ITALIAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA / IN PARTICIPATING IN THE COMMEMORATION OF / NEW YORK STATE'S "YEAR OF HISTORY" / BY CONTRIBUTING THIS BRONZE PLAQUE / HONORING THE NAME OF THE / FIRST ITALIAN IMMIGRANT / PETER CAESAR ALBERTI / NATIVE OF VENICE, WHO, IN THE YEAR 1635 / SETTLED IN WHAT IS TODAY KNOWN AS / NEW YORK CITY, / IN THE WALL STREET AREA, AND LATER / IN THE FORT GREENE AREA OF BROOKLYN. / PLACED TODAY, JUNE 2, 1959 / BY THE / ITALIAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICAN /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143