Back to Monuments List
Battery Park Cannon
Click image for larger view
- Location: Perimeter of park on State Street between Bridge and Pearl Streets
- Architect: J.V. & R.V. Lamb
- Description: Cannon on base, plaque
- Materials: Cannon--iron; base--granite; plaque--aluminum
- Dimensions: H: 2'9" W: 4' D: 1'2"
- Cast: ca. 1914
- Dedicated: 1914
- Donor: William Henry Mairs; Children of the City History Club
- Inscription: THIS ANCIENT CANNON / WAS EXHUMED IN 1892 ON THE SITE OF / NO.55 BROADWAY ON THE CORNER OF EXCHANGE ALLEY / OR THE HIGHWAY LEADING TO THE / FORTIFICATION CALLED OYSTER PASTY 1695-1783 / PRESENTED TO THE CITY OF NEW YORK BY / WILLIAM HENRY MAIRS / PLACED HERE BY THE CHILDREN OF / THE CITY HISTORY CLUB / 1914
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143