Back to Monuments List
Fort George Memorial Tablet
Click image for larger view
- Location: Perimeter of park on State Street between Bridge and Pearl Streets
- Description: Tablet
- Materials: White Vermont marble
- Dimensions: H: 33" W: 29.5" L: 29.5"
- Cast: ca. 1818
- Dedicated: 1818
- Donor: Corporation of the City of New York
- Inscription: TO PERPETUATE / THE SITE OF THE S.W. BASTION OF / FORT GEORGE / IN 40°42'8" N. LATITUDE / AS OBSERVED BY / CAPT. JOHN MONTRESOR AND DAVID RITTENHOUSE / IN OCTOBER 1769 / THE CORPORATION OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK / HAVE ERECTED / THIS MONUMENT / A.D. MDCCCXVIII /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143