Back to Monuments List
Salvation Army Monument
Click image for larger view
- Location: Battery Place, west of Greenwich Street
- Architect: J.V. & R.V. Lamb
- Description: Stele on plinth, plaque
- Materials: Barre granite, bronze
- Dimensions: Plinth H: 1' W: 6' D: 2'10"; Stele H: 5'7½" W: 4' D: 1'6"; Plaque H: 2'6" W: 2'9½"
- Cast: ca. 1952
- Dedicated: 1952
- Donor: Salvation Army
- Inscription: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / UNDER THE DIRECTION OF / GENERAL WILLIAM BOOTH / THE FOUNDER OF THE SALVATION ARMY / COMMISSIONER GEORGE S. RAILTON AND SEVEN WOMEN / OFFICERS UNFURLED THE FLAG OF THE SALVATION ARMY / HERE ON MARCH 10, 1880 / --- / THIS TABLET IS PLACED BY / COMMANDER EVANGELINE BOOTH / NOVEMBER 14, 1927 / AS AN EXPRESSION OF ABOUNDING GRATITUDEON THE PART / OF MULTITUDES WHO HAVE REAPED THE FRUITAGE OF THAT / GRACIOUS INVASION /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143