- Location: Astoria
- Sculptor: George V. Tsaras
- Architect: Pedestal: Chris Vilardi, Artistic Solutions, Inc.
- Description: Bronze bust on granite pedestal
- Materials: Bronze and Cold Mountain Green granite
- Dimensions: Bust, H: 34" W: 25" D: 16; Sub-base, H: 3.5" W: 15.25" D: 12.75"; Pedestal, H: 5'
- Dedicated: April 5, 2008
- Donor: The People of Chalkidiki and Athens Square, Inc.
- Inscription: ARISTOTLE / A GIFT FROM THE PEOPLE OF / CHALKIDIKI, GREECE / TO THE PEOPLE OF / THE CITY OF NEW YORK / VASILIOS VASILAKIS / GOVERNOR OF CHALKIDIKI / MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG / MAYOR OF NEW YORK / 2008
Directions to Athens Square
Know Before You Go
Athens Square is currently closed to reconstruct the plaza and adjacent seating area. Pavement that has settled over the years creating low points where water pools will be replaced. The Sun of Vergina, an ancient Greek symbol, will be placed in the circle that is used for a stage at concerts in the summer. The cheek walls on either side of the two ramps will be reconstructed and a new ramp will be constructed between the seating area and the plaza. New handrails will be installed, two and one-half foot fencing will be placed around plant beds, plant material will be replaced as needed, and a trench drain will be installed near the spray shower to keep water from flowing onto the safety surface.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2014
Athens Square Weather