This playground, which is jointly operated by Parks and the Board of Education, has had several names since it was first opened in 1962. The property sits on 164th Street, between Clay Avenue and Teller Avenue. Originally, it was simply called JHS 145 Playground, after the adjoining junior high school. In 1987, the playground and school were renamed for the famous conductor Arturo Toscanini (1867-1957). Toscanini was born in Italy, where he studied music and eventually became a prominent conductor. In 1908, he began work as the musical director of the Metropolitan Opera in New York, and from 1928 to 1936, he conducted the New York Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra. To many however, Toscanini was most famous for his work with the National Broadcasting Company Symphony, which he directed from 1937 to 1954.