Allerton Playground and the avenue on which it lies are named in remembrance of Daniel Allerton (1818-1877). Allerton was an early Bronx settler who purchased and farmed this area with his wife Hustace. In 1914, the City of New York constructed Allerton Avenue on what was previously the Hammersley family estate, a property that had been mapped in 1856. The stretch of Allerton Avenue between Lurting and Tenbroeck Avenues was originally known as Thomas Haddon's Saw-Mill Lane after a structure that had stood there in the 1720s. The stretch of Allerton Avenue between Bronx Park and Cruger Avenue was previously known as Bleeker Street.
Directions to Allerton Playground
Allerton Playground Weather