Alexander Hamilton Playground
Hamilton Pl., W. 140 St. To W. 141 St.
Directions via Google Maps
This playground, bounded by Hamilton Place, West 140th Street, and West 141st Street, takes its name from Hamilton Place, which is named for the most distinguished resident of Harlem Heights, Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804). Born on the island of Nevis in the British West Indies in 1755, Hamilton moved to New York City in 1772 and attended King’s College (now Columbia University). With the outbreak of war in 1776, Hamilton volunteered for service in a New York artillery company. A year later, he came to the attention of General George Washington (1732-1799), who later made Hamilton his aide and secretary.