Back to Monuments List
Tree of Hope
Click image for larger view
- Location: Center median on Adam Clayton Powell Blvd. at West 131 Street
- Description: Plaque dedicating original Tree of Hope (tree is no longer extant); in front of the Tree of Hope III sculpture by Algernon Miller
- Materials: Bronze
- Dimensions: H: 13" W: 16"
- Dedicated: November 4, 1934
- Fabricator: Gregg LeFevre (replacement)
- Donor: Bill "Bojangles" Robinson (original); Lloyd A. Williams
- Inscription: THE ORIGINAL / TREE OF HOPE / BELOVED BY THE PEOPLE / OF HARLEM / "YOU ASKED FOR A TREE OF HOPE / SO HERE TIS, BEST WISHES" / BILL ROBINSON [inscribed]
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 360-8143