Located between 62nd Avenue and 62nd Road along Yellowstone Boulevard, Playground Sixty-Two serves the students and community of P.S. 220 in Rego Park, Queens. The Board of Estimate approved the site for school and park purposes on February 11, 1954, and a joint-operation agreement was made later that year. The park opened on May 8, 1957. Originally known as P.S. 220 Playground, the park was renamed 62nd Road Playground by Parks in 1987, and Playground Sixty-Two in 1997, for the adjacent avenue and road.
Originally, street names in Queens were chosen by the community. There was no borough-wide street classification system. Twenty-two streets had the name Washington, and twenty-five were named Clinton. In 1898, after the consolidation of New York City, an effort began to organize names. In 1911, it was decided that the roadways would be numbered, with avenues, roads, and drives running east-west and streets, lanes, and places running north-south.
Directions to Playground Sixty Two LXII
Playground Sixty Two LXII Weather