This playground, which first opened in 1954, serves both students at the adjoining P.S. 15 and residents of Springfield Gardens. Named after the nearby Long Island Rail Road station, Locust Manor was originally the name of a 1906 development project in the area.
The current area of Springfield Gardens was originally known as “Spring Fields” because of its system of natural ponds and creeks. These resources proved attractive to Dutch settlers, who first arrived in the 1640s. The irrigation system initially supplied water for crops and was later incorporated into the city’s water system, until the ponds became polluted. By 1700, Spring Fields was a small farm hamlet composed of a number of scattered homes assembled around dirt roads. In the mid-1800s all of southeastern Queens amounted to about 2000 residents, and because of its sparse population it suffered from a lack of basic services, such as sewers and utilities.
Directions to Locust Manor Playground
Locust Manor Playground Weather