Queens Valley is a former name of Kew Gardens Hills, a neighborhood originally known as Head of the Vleigh. The latter name is derived from Vleigh Road, now Vleigh Place, which connected the town of Flushing to Brooklyn during colonial times. The road allowed travelers to circumvent Flushing Meadow, then an impassible swamp.
During the 18th century, much of Head of the Vleigh was part of a farm owned by William Furman, who called the area Willow Glen due to the weeping willows found on his property. In 1820, Furman sold his land to Timothy Jackson, who expanded the farm to accommodate his horses. Despite transportation improvements that led to the development of the surrounding communities of Hopedale (Kew Gardens), Whitepot (Forest Hills), and Richmond Hill, the area, which in the 19th century became known as Queens Valley, remained farmland until the end of the 1800s.
Directions to Queens Valley Playground
Queens Valley Playground Weather