John F. Murray (1889-1944) was a lifetime Queens resident and a dedicated recreation supervisor for Queens parks for many years. Although his Parks job kept him busy, he also devoted much of his time to a variety of other activities.
Murray supervised the Long Island City Knights of Columbus, the local chapter of the famous Roman Catholic fraternal order. The association organized blood donation campaigns and sports programs for youths, promoted religious activities, and articulated Catholic opinion on social issues. In 1944, the New York Chapter of the Knights of Columbus became the holder of the permit for the Columbus Day Parade. Murray also helped supervise recreational activities for the Elmhurst Elks, another neighborhood fraternal society. He also organized local boxing tournaments and in particular, trained prizefighters. He and his wife, Catherine, had two sons, Colonel John Murray and Captain William Murray, who both served in the army.
Directions to Murray Playground
Know Before You Go
John F. Murray Playground is currently under construction. This much needed renovation will include new play equipment, safety surfacing, paving, fencing, and an innovative new spray shower. In addition, a series of new benches for parents and caregivers will be included, and native plants will be used in the landscaping. Once complete, this playground will be a welcome respite for visitors of all ages.
Anticipated Completion: Summer 2014
Murray Playground Weather