Cobble Hill Historic District Plaque
Click image for larger view
- Architect: Richard Sosis
- Description: Plaque with medallion at top, on plinth
- Materials: Bronze, granite
- Dimensions: H: 5" W: 12"
- Dedicated: 1971
- Donor: Cobble Hill Association; New York Community Trust
- Inscription: HISTORIC DISTRICT NEW YORK CITY / COBBLE HILL HISTORIC DISTRICT / SETTLED BY DUTCH FARMERS IN THE 1640'S, THE RURAL / CHARACTER OF COBBLE HILL BEGAN TO CHANGE AFTER 1836, / WHEN THE ATLANTIC AVENUE FERRY TO MANHATTAN WENT / INTO OPERATION. THE EARLIEST BUILDINGS DATE FROM / THAT PERIOD AND ARE FINE EXAMPLES OF GREEK REVIVAL / ARCHITECTURE. LATER BUILDINGS EXEMPLIFY A / CROSS SECTION OF THE STYLES THAT WERE POPULAR / THROUGH THE 1880'S, WITH A REMARKABLE AMOUNT OF / FINE ORIGINAL IRONWORK STILL INTACT. ON HICKS STREET / AND WARREN PLACE ARE SOME OF THE EARLIEST LOW-COST / MODEL APARTMENTS AND ROW HOUSES IN THE CITY. / PLAQUE PROVIDED BY THE NEW YORK COMMUNITY TRUST, 1971. /
Please note, the NAME field includes a primary designation as well as alternate namings often in common or popular usage. The DEDICATED field refers to the most recent dedication, most often, but not necessarily the original dedication date. If the monument did not have a formal dedication, the year listed reflects the date of installation.
For more information, please contact Art & Antiquities at (212) 304-2365