Hegeman Ave., Linden Blvd. bet. Powell St. and Mother Gaston Blvd.
Directions via Google Maps
The Brownsville Recreation Center takes its name from the neighborhood that it serves. Brownsville, bounded by Eastern Parkway, Van Sinderen Avenue to the east, Linden Boulevard to the south, and Rockaway Parkway to the west, was first developed in 1865 by Charles S. Brown. Brown purchased a section of farm and meadowland and built 250 frame houses, hoping to lure the working class from lower Manhattan and western sections of Brooklyn to his modestly priced homes. Brown was certain that he would not be able to convince the bourgeoisie to relocate in “Brownsville,” as the area was to be called, because it was downwind of the odors from the marshes and bone-boiling factories of Jamaica Bay.
Follow the exploits of siblings Tony and Tia in this showing of classic film Escape to Witch Mountain! Part of...
Directions to Brownsville Playground
Know Before You Go
Brownsville Recreation Center
The swimming pool at Brownsville Recreation Center is closed for renovation. In the meantime, we encourage all BRC members to use the indoor pool at St. John's Recreation Center or any of the other 11 indoor pools across the City. For more information, please call BRC at 718) 485-4633.
- Remembering Jocko
- The Land of Pure Imagination
- Parks and Council Member Charles Barron Cut the Ribbon on Park Improvements in Brownsville
Brownsville Playground Weather