NYC Resources311Office of the Mayor

Linden Sitting Area

Linden Blvd., Church Ave., E. 92 St.

Brooklyn

Directions via Google Maps

This text is part of Parks’ Historical Signs Project and can be found posted within the park.

This small sitting space takes its name from adjacent Linden Boulevard. The street itself takes the name of the American linden trees (Tilia americana) that line its length. The land for the park was mapped as a public space after it was acquired in 1928 during proceedings about the boulevard.

Linden Boulevard was originally called Van Brunt Street in honor of a prominent family descended from Dutch colonists that lived in the area. Their first recorded ancestor in America was Rutger Joesten Van Brunt (c.1653-1718) who immigrated in 1653 to the town of New Utrecht, today a part of Brooklyn. Another Rutger Van Brunt (1757-1830) built the old mill on Bull Creek sometime in the late 18th century. In 1887, the Brooklyn Common Council changed the name of the street to Vienna Avenue, after the Austrian Capital. In 1924, the Common Council changed the name once again, this time calling it Lorraine Street, after the Lorraine region in eastern France.

Read More

Park Information

Directions to Linden Sitting Area

    Linden Sitting Area Weather

    • Wed
      Sunny
      80°F
    • Thu
      Scattered Showers
      82°F
    • Fri
      Chance Thunderstorms
      85°F
    • Sat
      Chance Showers
      82°F

    7-day forecast

    Was this information helpful?