Ferry Point Park Development
Ferry Point Park East: Site of the Future Golf Course
Ferry Point Park is undergoing the long-awaited development of both its eastern and western portions. The projects involve the rehabilitation of athletic fields, new comfort stations, a waterfront park, and a signature golf course. The projects are moving forward expeditiously to offer park users new and upgraded parks that promise unique recreational opportunities.
The site, a former landfill, is located in the Bronx adjacent to the Whitestone Bridge and is bounded by the Hutchinson River Parkway, the East River, Schley Avenue, Emerson Avenue, and Balcom Avenue. At 413.8 acres, the site is one of the largest pieces of undeveloped parkland in New York City.
Ferry Point Park: Aerial Overview
The land on which Ferry Point Park was built was part of the Throgmorton Grant of 1642, and was farmed by a series of families through the next two centuries. In 1850 the land was purchased by shipping magnate Augustus diZerega and tobacco manufacturer Jacob Lorillard. It was then sold to the Catholic House of the Good Shepherd in 1916. The land was acquired by the City in 1937. It took its name from the ferries that traveled through the area from 1910 through 1939.
New York City Parks Commissioner Robert Moses had planned a beach, bathhouse, and cafeteria complex with a bus terminal and a parking field at Ferry Point Park East. However, this plan was never implemented. In 1948 an additional 72 acres were acquired by condemnation. Over the next eighteen years, the Department of Sanitation used Ferry Point Park as a municipal waste importation site. Fill operations ceased at Ferry Point East in the 1960s, and the site was covered and left to naturalize.
The City recognized the potential afforded by the large, undeveloped tract and under Mayor Giuliani began planning for the remediation and reclamation of the fallow site.
Today the possibilities explored by Robert Moses and a progression of other City leaders and citizens are finally coming to fruition through the rehabilitation of the community park, the construction of athletic fields on Ferry Point’s western side, the building of two new comfort stations, the creation of the golf course, and ecological revitalization at the waterfront park.
The projects on the eastern side were approved pursuant to the City’s Uniform Land Use Review Procedure in 1999. They were also the subject of a detailed Environmental Assessment Statement (EAS) performed on behalf of the Parks Department in 1999 and updated in 2005.
The centerpiece of the project is a 7,200 yard, 18-hole tournament quality links-style golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus. The golf complex will include a driving range and clubhouse.
In addition to the golf course, the project includes the reconstruction and enhancement of the Community Park. The scope of the reconstruction, which was completed and opened to the public in fall 2011, included restoration of basketball courts, and the installation of a new tot lot, seating areas, informal lawn area, gardens and a naturalized pedestrian trail that circumnavigates detention ponds. Additionally, restored baseball fields were opened to the public in spring 2012. Reconstruction of the comfort station is anticipated to begin in late spring/early summer 2013, to be complete by summer 2014.
Ferry Point Waterfront Park will offer unparalleled views of the skyline and nearby bridges with opportunities to interact with the water and reconstructed habitats, as well as a kayak launch, comfort station/snack bar and meandering nature trails. The Waterfront Park, in the final design phases will be the final compliment to Ferry Point Park East, helping to restore the important shoreline environment and creating a new tidal wetland to provide important habitat and beneficial storm water filtration.
Environmental Monitoring Data
An electronic project website containing all Ferry Point Park-related project data that is maintained by an Independent Environmental Monitor (IEM) and available to the public. In order to access the information, a password is required. When prompted, please use the following:
Password: public (case sensitive)
NYSDEC Part 360 Permit (PDF, 1.1 MB)