Fellowship & Conservation Corps
Apply Today to Help Improve New York City’s Parks and Natural Areas!
We are seeking motivated and energetic individuals to apply to the 2014-2015 NYC Parks Fellowship and Conservation Corps Program.
Participants will gain valuable work experience that will help them to become the next generation of leaders dedicated to public service and to protecting and enhancing New York City's parks and natural resources.
Each year, we select 30 applicants as Corps Members to the NYC Parks Fellowship and Conservation Corps Program. The program is a paid, 40-week public service commitment that features professional placements throughout the agency, on-the-job training and mentoring that will include a multi-day orientation to divisions at Parks, ongoing career-development seminars, and service projects. The fellowship year starts on Monday, September 8, 2014 and ends Friday, June 12, 2015. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Corps Members Projects
Corps Members will have the opportunity to work on an administrative or field-based project such as: GIS mapping of natural areas, developing environmental education and recreational programs for New Yorkers of all ages, restoring natural areas damaged by Hurricane Sandy, and more. These long-term placements will provide valuable work experience, exposing participants to a diverse array of responsibilities within NYC Parks. Fellows will also spend one month of the program outside of their placement working on a group project.
- Ability to understand and be understood in English.
- Ability to work at least 35 hours per week, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- US citizenship is not required. However, applicants must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the United States for the entire fellowship period. The Conservation Corps Program does not sponsor work visas.
- Fellows are discouraged, but not prohibited, from attending graduate school at night, as long as it does not interfere with their responsibilities at work.
- There are no age restrictions to apply to the program.
- A college degree from an accredited college or university.
- Interest in New York City and its parks, public service, urban planning or the environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize tasks, and take initiative on projects.
- Strong communication skills, including written, oral, and presentation abilities.
- Strong leadership skills and a willingness to work as a member of a diverse team.
- Willingness to work outdoors and in inclement weather.
- Corps Members are paid $18.00 an hour and are provided health insurance while in the program.
- Corps Members are responsible for finding their own housing; NYC Parks does not pay for or subsidize any relocation or housing costs. Candidates who are not current City residents are required to establish City residency within 90 days from hire to meet the NYC residency requirement.
Applications are due Friday, March 21, 2014, by midnight EST.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note: Candidates will be notified by email of their interview status. Applicants not invited to interview will also be notified by email at that time. Those who are selected to become Corps Members will receive an official letter through email notifying them of their acceptance into the program in June 2014.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.