NYC Parks Fellowship & Conservation Corps Program
Apply Today to Help Improve New York City’s Parks and Natural Areas!
We are seeking motivated and energetic individuals to apply to the 2015-2016 NYC Parks Fellowship and Conservation Corps Program.
Participants will gain valuable work experience that will help them become the next generation of leaders dedicated to public service and to protecting and enhancing New York City's parks and natural resources.
The NYC Parks Fellowship & Conservation Corps Program is a paid, 40-week public service commitment. The program features professional placements throughout the agency, as well as professional development and career counseling opportunities that will include a multi-day orientation, introduction to divisions at NYC Parks, and service projects. The fellowship year starts on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 and ends Friday, June 24, 2016. This year, we will select 10-15 applicants to participate in the NYC Parks Fellowship and Conservation Corps Program. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Corps Member Placement Opportunities
- Hands-on restoration of natural areas including forests, marshes and trails damaged by Hurricane Sandy.
- Special projects and support for NYC Parks’ marketing, budget, legal or other administrative divisions.
- Supporting environmental education programs for New Yorkers of all ages.
- Leading community engagement efforts, volunteer restoration projects, or greening and clean-up events.
- Surveying and mapping natural areas using Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Connecting New Yorkers to fitness programs, recreational opportunities and special events.
- Ability to understand and be understood in English.
- Ability to work at least 35 hours per week, including occasional evenings and weekends.
- A United States citizenship is not required. However, applicants must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the United States for the entire fellowship period. The Conservation Corps Program does not sponsor work visas.
- Candidates who are not current City residents are required to establish City residency within 90 days from hire to meet the NYC residency requirement.
- Fellows are discouraged, but not prohibited, from attending graduate school at night, as long as it does not interfere with their responsibilities at work.
- There are no age restrictions to apply to the program.
- A college degree from an accredited college or university.
- Interest in New York City and its parks, public service, urban planning or the environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize tasks, and take initiative on projects.
- Strong communication skills, including written, oral, and presentation abilities.
- Strong leadership skills and a willingness to work as a member of a diverse team.
- Willingness to work outdoors and in inclement weather.
- Corps Members are paid $22.00 an hour and are eligible for health insurance after 90 days from start.
- Corps Members are responsible for finding their own housing; NYC Parks does not pay for or subsidize any relocation or housing costs.
The application period has been extended. Applications are now due by Monday, April 20, 2015 by 11:59 p.m. EST.
Please note: Candidates will be notified by email of their interview status. Applicants not invited to interview will also be notified by email. Those who are selected to become Corps Members will receive an official letter through email in June 2015, notifying them of their acceptance into the program.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com.