This Weekend In Parks: MulchFest!
Saturday, January 11 & Sunday, January 12
10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
The 18th annual MulchFest provides New Yorkers with a fun and environmentally-friendly opportunity to recycle their Christmas trees into woodchips that will nourish trees and gardens throughout the city.
MulchFest will take place on Saturday, January 11 and Sunday, January 12 from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. at 36 chipping sites and 47 drop-off sites across all five boroughs.
Woodchip mulch moderates soil temperatures, helps retain soil moisture and deters weed growth while slowly adding nutrients to the soil. The mulch will be used to line street tree pits and flowerbeds in parks. MulchFest attendees are encouraged to bring home a bag of mulch for their own garden or street tree.
On Saturday, five chipping sites, one in each borough, will provide snacks and beverages compliments of MulchFest sponsor Whole Foods Market New York City.
Those locations are:
• Bronx: Metropolitan Oval Parkchester, Metropolitan Ave and Unionport Road
• Brooklyn: Prospect Park, Third Street at Prospect Park West
• Manhattan: Tompkins Square Park, East 7th Street between Avenues A & B
• Queens: Cunningham Park, parking lot at 196th Street
• Staten Island: Clove Lakes Park, Cheshire Place and Clove Road
For more information and a complete list of MulchFest sites, visit www.nyc.gov/parks and search for "MulchFest."
QUOTATION FOR THE DAY
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with."
W. C. Fields
(1880 - 1946)