New Playground Opens At Canarsie Park
On Tuesday, December 3, NYC Parks celebrated the opening of a new playground at Canarsie Park. The $2.94 million project was funded with generous allocations of $1.6 million from Council Member Lew Fidler, $1 million from Borough President Marty Markowitz, and $340,00 from Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
The new playground is complete with play equipment, a spray shower, swings, climbing units, music features, and abundant plantings
This project is the latest portion of Council Member Fidler's $11 million renovation of Canarsie Park. Recent projects include a new skate park, the new cricket pitch, new paths, fitness trails, nature trails, two tidal ponds, lighting, landscaping and trees
Canarsie Park and neighborhood take their name from the Canarsie (or Canarsee) Indians, who lived in western Long Island. In 1895, the City of Brooklyn purchased land for the park, which originally stretched from 93rd Street to 88th Street, and from Seaview Avenue to Skidmore Avenue.
It was extended in 1934 with land from the Department of Docks, and in 1938 and 1949 with parcels from the Board of Estimate. In the 1950s, Parks Commissioner Robert Moses requested the transfer of land that had been used for temporary housing during World War II to expand Canarsie Park. A parcel at the corner of Fresh Creek Basin and Seaview Avenue was assigned to Parks in 1958. Most of the city parkland south of Shore Parkway was transferred to the National Park Service for the creation of Gateway National Recreation Area.
With its playgrounds, skate park, basketball and tennis courts, and baseball diamonds, Canarsie Park provides significant recreation space for the residents of Brooklyn.
QUOTATION FOR THE DAY
"Magnificent promises are always to be suspected."
(1810 - 1860)