NYC Resources311Office of the Mayor

Historical Signs in Bronx

Search by alphabet:

 

Keyword search:

Wade Triangle
Private First Class Edward A. Wade lived on Valentine Avenue and later on Morris Avenue in the Bronx. He lost his life fighti...

Wallenberg Forest
This parkland is named in honor of Raoul Gustav Wallenberg (1912-1947), a Swedish diplomat who is credited with saving tens of...

Walton Park
This park is named for Mary Walton (ca.1726-1794). In 1749, Walton married Lewis Morris III (1726-1798), the only New Yorker ...

Waring Playground
Waring Playground, like the nearby avenue, is named for Maria Waring, a local landowner between 1859 and 1872, and daughter of...

Washington Park
George Washington (1732-1799) began his professional career as a land surveyor in Virginia and was a member of the Virginia Ho...

Watson Gleason Playground
In 1938 the City of New York acquired the entire block bounded by Watson, Noble, Gleason, and Rosedale Avenues. ...

Wave Hill
Over a century old, the Wave Hill estate of Riverdale is one of New York City’s most beautiful parks. The property was ...

Webster Playground
This playground is named for nearby Webster Avenue. The avenue opened to East 184th Street in 1879, and in 1882 the avenue wa...

Whalen Park
Henry A. Whalen (1917-1973) participated in eight campaigns during World War II, serving in Europe, the Middle East, and Afric...

Williamsbridge Oval Playground
This playground is located in the northwest quadrant of a 19.7-acre recreational facility built on the former site of a r...

Williamsbridge Square
The name of this site comes from a bridge across the Bronx River that was named for John Williams. In the 18th century, Willi...

Willis Playground
This Mott Haven playground, adjacent to the Willis School (P.S. 49) and the Mott Haven Houses, is located between East 139th S...

Wood Park
Wood Park, located in the South Bronx neighborhood of Parkchester, honors one of New York’s most controversial mayors, F...

Woodlawn Playground
Woodlawn Playground lies within Van Cortlandt Park, near Van Cortlandt Park East and East 239th Street, and takes its name ...

1

<< Back to Historical Signs Main.

Was this information helpful?