NYC Resources311Office of the Mayor

Historical Signs in Bronx

Search by alphabet:

 

Keyword search:

The Carriage House at Bartow-Pell Mansion
An architectural and historical treasure, the Carriage House at Bartow-Pell is the only unaltered masonry structure of its typ...

The Cross-Bronx Expressway
The six lane Cross-Bronx Expressway passes over, under, and around rail, sewer, and utility lines, 113 roads, a subway line, a...

The Islands of Pelham Bay
There are many important islands dotting Pelham Bay as it expands towards Long Island Sound. From this spot on Orchard Beach,...

The John Kieran Nature Trail
John Kieran (1892-1981) was a writer and amateur naturalist who loved Van Cortlandt Park. Born in the Bronx, Kieran attended ...

The Lagoon
The lagoon has endured a long history of change. Located in the northeast corner of the Bronx, it originally included LeRoy&r...

The Meadow
Pelham Bay Park’s Meadow, along with its woodlands, marshes, and islands, is an important, prominent natural resource fo...

The Pearly Gates
The name for the Pearly Gates Playground is derived from Christian tradition as the entranceway through which souls travel to ...

The Seat
This bronze piece by New York City artist David Saunders (b. 1954) depicts an armchair and open dictionary set on a granite bo...

The Valentine-Varian House
The Valentine-Varian House was built ca. 1758, when carriages traveled the nearby Boston Post Road through a Bronx that was st...

Thomas Pell Wildlife Sanctuary/ Hunter Island Marine Zoology and Geology Sanctuary
The Thomas Pell Wildlife Sanctuary and the Hunter Island Marine Zoology and Geology Sanctuary in the northeast Bronx ...

Throgs Neck Expressway
This expressway, which links the New England Thruway and Cross-Bronx Expressway, is named for Throgs Neck, which was settled b...

Tibbetts Brook
Tibbetts Brook is a small stream that begins its journey just north of the Bronx in the City of Yonkers and flows south into ...

Tiffany Playground
The first Tiffany in America, Humphrey Tiffany (1630-1685), was killed by a lightning bolt during a ride from Swansea, Massach...

Tremont Park
Tremont Park is named for the neighborhood in which it resides. This area was known as Upper Morrisania until the 1850s, when...

Trojan Courts
Named for the Trojans, a Bronx amateur baseball club that used the fields in the 1930s, Trojan Courts is one of the smaller ar...

Twin Islands
Located east of Hunter Island along the northern point of Orchard Beach, the 19-acre Twin Islands and the surrounding environm...

1

<< Back to Historical Signs Main.

Was this information helpful?